What does this mean?
FROM ICLEI-USA WEBSITE (Member Benefits):
What ICLEI Members Receive:
- Clean Air & Climate Protection (CACP) Software and training
- Tools, guidebooks, case studies, and other resources, including a library of local government sample ordinances, policies, resolutions, and other documents
- Webinar trainings and regional workshops
- State, regional, national and international peer networking opportunities
- Technical and programmatic expertise and assistance from our regional staff
- Regional, state, and federal funding updates, as well as federal and international policy analyses
- Annual training and leadership events
- Recognition and awards
- Representation at international meetings
OK, you say, since you're not convinced, and you think that maybe this is a good thing because we should all be coordinated in our energy usage and planning...you say:
Why should I be concerned if an international group is dictating policy to my government?
Why should I be concerned if I don't have a vote on these issues?
Why should I be concerned that goals and targets have been established for me without my knowledge?
Time for a tutorial...Let's use ICLEI's own website links where they tell you all about one of their favorite projects, PlaNYC, a New York City plan involving a huge developer, a redevelopment project, eminent domain, and a fierce community fight--here it is---READ HERE.
The bottom line? What your government says is good for you and good for the environment, and good for government and good for a fat cat developer might only be good for................
you guessed it. MEOW!